Life's best wave is now...ride it.

Trevor Downs is a child of God, husband of Maia,
father of Jordyn, Dakotah, Colin and Thea and
writing partner of the legendary Danny Ray.

Buy Amazon Novella's of two of our screenplays here:

Monday, March 21, 2005

Want a Navigator and free lunch?


Join the poverty stricken of an inner city public school.

Now I don't know about you, but I have to pay for my lunches and I drive economy cars. Now I never expected to get rich teaching (I was and still am hoping that is a product of our scripts and some feature movie roles) and I am more than happy to pay for my lunch, drive a Saturn, and help out the poor. But when you work in a school where over 90% of the kids get free breakfast, lunch, after school snack, corrective eye-wear, medical, and a plethora of other amenities; while arriving in the luxury of a black Navigator with alloy rims, low profile tires, and dealer tags blowing in the wind? Not to mention the kids are loaded down with gameboys, cellphones, i-pods and pockets full of cash to purchase french fries, cokes and Hot Cheetos while their tax paid lunch/breakfast tickets end up in the trash...you can get a bit cynical.
But I'm ahead of myself, let's get back to Mom in the Navigator, sitting in plush leather and pretending to ignore little old me in my grey Saturn, stained $8 school pride t-shirt, two year old jeans and discount shoes. I put on the signal, and I wonder, "Is she going to let me through?"
She keeps eyes straight--but I see the flicker that says she knows I'm waiting--and the guzzling $50K beast rolls right in front of me, cutting me off as I try to park my car so I can teach her kids (who've been brought up by her to defy authority) some Math and Science...
...well then, I'm thankful for my job, and I love those kids, but let me tell you, that bothers me a bit, and I think the government ought to be a little more careful where they spend my money, instead of throwing our tax payer dollars to people who can afford a heck of alot more than we can. Remember this the next time you hear someone with a sob story about how we need more money for those poor schools.
So, until the government wises up, check into your local Title one school--who knows, before long you too can be driving a Navigator and eating for free.
Have a great day!

No comments: